Dec 17, 2007

In Heaven, Everything is Fine

Recently I was at Hollywood video looking for two movies: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Eraserhead. I found the latter, and was checking out the 3 for $20 rack where I procured The Host, The Fountain, and Knocked Up. I was feelin' pretty good about things.
When I got home, I had a couple of hours to kill, so I decided to pop in Eraserhead (it's due on Wednesday, after all). Let me preface my Eraserhead experience by explaining my recent David Lynch fixation.
David Lynch movies have a tendency to crawl into your head and stay around for awhile, even when you'd prefer it if they left. I endured many nights of terrible dreams after watching select episodes of Twin Peaks as a lad, but since then have become fascinated with why his stuff managed to scare me so bad. Over the years, I've seen most of his work, Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive being my favorites. Each of these films have a special way of making things that are normally safe and familiar (Bobby Vinton/Roy Orbison songs, the elderly, coffee, and traffic lights) and making them scary and alien. Awhile ago, Sheree introduced me to Sigmund Freud's essay called The Uncanny where Freud explains that this transition from the familiar to the unfamiliar is the basis of what he calls "the uncanny." I think that this is why David Lynch's films are so unsettling and bizarre.
That being said, Eraserhead (Lynch's first movie, filmed over about six years while he was attending the American Film Institute) is the weirdest movie that I have ever seen. In a nutshell, it involves a dude named Henry Spencer whose fling with Mary X has produced a strange, reptilian baby. The two get married, but Mary X can't handle the mutant baby's constant crying and gurgling throughout the night and leaves. Henry takes care of the baby, and has become fixated on the radiator in his apartment, where he sees this June Cleaver type woman (but scary because she has these huge distended cheeks) that sings and dances on a dilapidated stage. Henry falls in and out of bizarre hallucinations, has a brief fling with his neighbor (who stiffs him for another dude, causing the mutant baby to laugh at him), freaks out and stabs the baby-creature. This causes the electricity to overload, and (I think) the world to blow up. Man, just reading that doesn't even do it justice. It's so damn bizarre.
Anywho, the next movie I watched was Knocked Up, which in a completely weird and unexpected way, helped me understand Eraserhead a little better (but not much, mind you). I think that, like Knocked Up, Eraserhead is about life unexpectedly catching up with people who aren't really prepared for it. Eraserhead is just a really twisted and psychologically unsound interpretation of this phenomena.



Take that home. Chew it.

8 comments:

Sheree said...

Um... Wow. How bout that? I don't really know what to say. I'm kinda freaked out, just by watching the clip.

Unknown said...

Alex, as Freud states in "The Uncanny", the feeling you get watching movies like Eraserhead stem from your subconscious fear that Dad wants to cut off your balls.
Dad wants to cut your balls off and that freaks you out!
Thats what Freud would have you believe.
I myself think that you experienced what is known as an "psychotic break" as a youngster watching the subversive psychological themes in Twin Peaks.
Since then, you're perception of reality has been altered only enough to make you feel "normal" by viewing disturbing movies. This is not uncommon among most sociopaths that end up hurting people for the mere sensation of it...boy, I hope no one else reads this comment, dude, cuz this could mess with your relationships...
Anyway, have you seen the new "The Dark Knight" trailer? Its balls-out--er, I mean, its neat!

Unknown said...

Suck! I misspelled YOUR!

CitizenPain said...

Dude Ben, I know you're a psychology major and all, but the fact that you wrote "you're" instead of "your" tells me that your analysis of my cool theory is half-assed and pedestrian. Have you even read "The Uncanny?"
I watch David Lynch movies because they're damned interesting. I don't have any delusions about how "normal" I am, because I can tell the difference between movies and reality.
I totally don't appreciate your implication that I'm a sociopath just because I like to watch psychologically challenging films.
Remember what I wrote about pigeonholing, and how those who practice pigeonholing are ignorant jackasses? Think about that shit.
And yes, the trailer for The Dark Knight was badass.

Ryan M. Springer said...

I'm not going to get into the middle of the psychoanaylsis, but I can vouch for the fact that Dad really does want to cut off Alex's balls.

Unknown said...

Your right.

Unknown said...

I may have read "The Uncanny", but I can't remember. I thought it was Freud's review of the "Sandman" replacing somebody's eyes or something.
All I remember is that he somehow got that because "the eyes" are precious organs that the Sandman's removal of them was symbolic of the removal of the shlong. Which is the Freud's castration complex stuff, which is whack!
Freud really loved his shlong, man.
But look!
I DO NOT THINK YOU ARE A SOCIOPATH!
I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUNNY, THEN I LEARNED THAT I CAN'T SPELL AND THAT ME NOT SO SILLY AFTER ALL.
PEACE!

CitizenPain said...

I think that I was in the middle of a dark acid binge when I replied. Sorry if that came out in that comment I made. I lu' you man.