Mar 27, 2009

Let's Get Psyched!

And lo, the reason I haven't been paying much attention to my blog has come to a screeching and emotionally ambiguous halt. For those of you who don't know (or those of you who are just insensitive), I've been student teaching at a middle school for about two and a half months. It's given me time to think about my choice of profession from beneath its own crushing boot heel.
I can say that it didn't scare me away from teaching, but it also didn't fill me with a philanthropic desire to "reach" every student and convert gang members into "decent" folk. Anyway, it's a lot to think about still. In the meantime, here's a playlist of songs that kept me psyched up.

"Wolf Like Me" by TV On the Radio: I owe some thanks to Ben for putting this song on a cool mix CD, and some to Ryan for inviting me and Sheree to see Local H where they did a crackingly good cover of it. When the moon is round and full, gonna teach you tricks that'll blow your mongrel mind.

"Seventeen Years" by Ratatat: Nothing like seeing what kind of sounds can actually come out of an electric guitar via synth-exorcism to get one psyched. This song psyches me up for just about anything. I'm psyched just thinking about it.

"The Mountain" by Heartless Bastards: Great song. I am still really trying to like the whole album, however. Spilt blood on this place/it only echoes true all through the day.

"Twilight Omens" by Franz Ferdinand: This album in contrast is spectacularrr (roll the "r" for the correct emphasis). "Ulysses" also gets me pretty damn psyched. Anywho, I like this one because it's got one of the best lines that I've heard in a song: I typed your number into my calculator where it spelled a dirty word when you turn it upside down.

"Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon: That's right. Sex on mutha-huggin' fi-yah! I heard this song one day on KRCL, which prompted me to get the album. For a very long time I've been hesitant about Kings of Leon, but this monster of rock did me in. Hot as a fever/rattling bones/I could just taste it/taste it.

"Heads Will Roll" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Even though I hate dancing because 1. I look stupid when I do it and 2. I know that I look stupid when I do it, this is a good song. If I looked cool/sexy when I danced, I'd totally dance to this song. Off with your head/dance 'til you're dead.

I'm grateful for good psych-up songs. They helped me lots with the peculiar student teaching experience, and they kick ass for other reasons too.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Remember that time when you were in high school and I walked up the stairs and caught you doing the "hand jive" while watching Grease (and no, that's not a euphemism for masturbation; you were literally doing the "hand jive")?

Well that was dead sexy, so don't be too hard on yourself.

And welcome back to blogging. I've missed you.

Unknown said...

It's a strange feeling when you realize your career is just sort of okay. I've felt that too. That's why we're gonna do much cooler stuff on the side until we blow-up and buy our own island.

And on said island, we'll invite folks like Sawyer, Jack, Kate, and Mr. Echo. (But not Charlie, he bugs).

CitizenPain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheree said...

Oops. I added my comment as you...

Anyway, nice list. I wish you would share some of your music with me, instead of just stealing my itunes gift cards. Jerk.

sorensenpower said...

Nice list! I also agree with Ben. Once you're out in the real world you come to realize work is work, no matter how you look at it.

Anyway, it's good to have you back! This can be your new thing, now that you no longer have school.

Also, can I come to your island? I'll bring the guns!