Apr 18, 2008

Ruminations on the Magic Kingdom


Though there are many great and wonderful things about visiting Disneyland, here are some of the things that I noticed during a recent visit.
First, I really like how Disneyland smells. That sounds strange and all, but when you walk down Main St., making your way to Mickey's Castle, your nose gets assaulted by all of these awesome whiffs. You've got the ice cream parlor whipping out waffle cones and brewing hot fudge, the fruit stand that smells like pineapple and grapes, and the kitchenwares shop that smells like hot chocolate. Not to mention the churro and cotton candy stands that are strategically positioned throughout the park. Churros and cotton candy have two of the best smells ever.
The one unfortunate thing about having so many good smells is that every now and again you get a quick and brutal whiff of vomit at very random spots. I think that this is so in order to preserve the cosmic balance by presenting some kind of opposition to all of the awesome smells, so it doesn't bother me too much.
Second, there are two foods that are always mindblowing at Disneyland. The pineapple juice float and the mighty turkey leg. Although on this particular venture, Sheree and I did not feast upon turkey leg, we did get pineapple juice floats outside the tiki room, and there was much rejoicing.
Third, New Orleans Square. There's this part right before you walk down the alley leading to the Blue Bayou and Le Bat En Rouge where if you stand and just look upwards, you have a feeling like you've been transported to another time. There are a lot of these vortexes around Disneyland (which I think is why it's so popular. One gets addicted to the escapism Disneyland provides), but this is the one that I always remember.
Fourth, Disneyland was not very busy this time around. The last time we went to Disneyland, the streets were choked with people. I mean choked! When it gets this crowded, Disneyland tends to piss me off. But this time around, the crowd was totally manageable and we never waited more than twenty minutes for a ride.
Fifth, I didn't have a sunburn-induced blister the size of a tennis ball on my leg. As many of you know, the first time I went to Disneyland with Sheree and her family, I got this mutant blister from a sunburn on my ankle. At the time I was too disgusted and ashamed to take a picture, but now I wish that I did just so I could show everyone. I named it Wilhelmina.
Yup, Disneyland is pretty much awesome. It was a great trip, and it took my mind off of all the stupid finals and crap that I have due in the next few weeks. You're a good man, Walt.

4 comments:

Sheree said...

Hey, I remember when we went to Disneyland! That was pretty awesome. I do hate the puke smells, though.

Unknown said...

Walt Damn Disney was a hell of a man!

sorensenpower said...

Mighty turkey leg... I like that.

Ryan said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-).

Remember that one time my family and I were in Disneyland, and then mom flew down to go with us, and then you and Sheree showed up?

That was insane.